baslinux - [BL] streaming audio for BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] streaming audio for BL2
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:10:02 +0000 (UTC)

I tried to read about problems at Real.com and kept running into blank pages with both lynx and links so am investigating ways to listen to other streaming formats such as WMA and OGG vorbis.

Mplayer is really a monster and seems to require Xfree86 4 and all sorts of other libraries to use even the version compiled for Redhat 7.3 (SW8.1 equiv?). It plays WMA and OGG vorbis and movies and apparently also RM (real media) formats and DVDs. I wonder if it can be compiled to play only audio formats so as not to need libgc for VIDIX, fontconfig, and XFree86 4.

At one forum people reported being able to play realaudio files using mplayer, media player classic, xine, abd Helix DNA player, or they may have meant they could play video formats with those. There is also an xmms and Sinek for playing OGG Vorbis streaming media, and there are players for streaming MP3 which is patented.

I have seen internet radio stations broadcsting in a choice of up to 4 formats.