baslinux - Re: [BL] streaming audio for BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] streaming audio for BL2
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:29:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Sindi,

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:10:02 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

I tried to read about problems at Real.com and kept running into blank
pages with both lynx and links so am investigating ways to listen to other
streaming formats such as WMA and OGG vorbis.

You may need to add the libraries for those formats first.
You certainly will for OGG.

But hopefully it will be smaller overall if it does not also play video formats. Have you tried OGG? At least one classical station offers it.

Mplayer is really a monster and seems to require Xfree86 4 and all sorts
of other libraries to use even the version compiled for Redhat 7.3 (SW8.1
equiv?). It plays WMA and OGG vorbis and movies and apparently also RM
(real media) formats and DVDs. I wonder if it can be compiled to play
only audio formats so as not to need libgc for VIDIX, fontconfig, and
XFree86 4.

I doubt it.

At this point I might just give up on WMA files and use Windows to play them until I fix a few other problems (dying monitor....)

At one forum people reported being able to play realaudio files using
mplayer, media player classic, xine, abd Helix DNA player, or they may
have meant they could play video formats with those.

Xine can certainly play Real media stuff, but it is a bit jerky and not as
efficient
as the RealPlayer itself.

Can it play streaming RA?

There is also an
xmms and Sinek for playing OGG Vorbis streaming media, and there are
players for streaming MP3 which is patented.

You may be able to tweak Links graphic to call mpg123 to play mp3 streams.
Worth a try ?

I got Realaudio working on its own without any browser, just typed in the URL of the station's live broadcast into File, Open. Maybe mpg123 can be used the same way? Is it compiled on the SW7.1 disk?

This is a big time sink. At least I have the SB16 working now.
I read the there is (was?) no linux support for awe32 (advanced wave effect synthesis for midi playing - I have two or more of these cards, 2 with 2M RAM that could take 8M RAM instead, 30 pin simms, and they come with some built in sound samples but linux may not use these).

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke