baslinux - Re: [BL] streaming audio for BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] streaming audio for BL2
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 03:54:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Sindi,

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 23:23:14 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

I play, and make, OGG files in DOS. I have yet to try in Linux.
I don't think DOS can do streaming anything, can it?

No, not streaming. Windows 3.1 (basically a DOS GUI) can stream RealAudio
though.

I tried it but nobody is broadcasting any more in the Win31 versions. I wish they would stop 'upgrading' and making things non-backwards-compatible. A ploy to get people to buy new computes and more Windows?

For OGG playing, try MPXPlay. - http://www.geocities.com/mpxplay/
It also handles mp3, wav and a few other sound formats.
Needs at least 100 MHz processor, 120 MHz would be better.

DOS or linux?
Perhaps anyone else interested in this topic can email me and we can set up a DOS music list informally instead of using the BL list.

Maybe I should try installing Realaudio in regular X not Xvesa in case it is looking for something particular. This means adding 10MB of mostly unwanted files to the computer. I might try it on a test setup first.
Can't do it with Steven's bl2-x setup because it insists on more colors. Idiots. I can listen blindfolded. The previous Opera worked in mono and now it insists on more than 16 colors or gives a segmentation fault.

Regards,
Ron
--
Ron Clarke