baslinux - Re: [BL] streaming audio for BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] streaming audio for BL2
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:27:19 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:10:02 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> I tried to read about problems at Real.com and kept running into blank
> pages with both lynx and links so am investigating ways to listen to other
> streaming formats such as WMA and OGG vorbis.

You may need to add the libraries for those formats first.
You certainly will for OGG.

> Mplayer is really a monster and seems to require Xfree86 4 and all sorts
> of other libraries to use even the version compiled for Redhat 7.3 (SW8.1
> equiv?). It plays WMA and OGG vorbis and movies and apparently also RM
> (real media) formats and DVDs. I wonder if it can be compiled to play
> only audio formats so as not to need libgc for VIDIX, fontconfig, and
> XFree86 4.

I doubt it.

> At one forum people reported being able to play realaudio files using
> mplayer, media player classic, xine, abd Helix DNA player, or they may
> have meant they could play video formats with those.

Xine can certainly play Real media stuff, but it is a bit jerky and not as
efficient
as the RealPlayer itself.

> There is also an
> xmms and Sinek for playing OGG Vorbis streaming media, and there are
> players for streaming MP3 which is patented.

You may be able to tweak Links graphic to call mpg123 to play mp3 streams.
Worth a try ?

Regards,
Ron

--