baslinux - Re: [BL] Introduction and a couple of questions.

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Introduction and a couple of questions.
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:30:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Joe Pardo wrote:

> Hi all I'm new to BL but have a good working knowledge
> of Linux / BSD systems. I have a couple of questions:
> 1. I want to take BL out of the DOS partition and put
> it on its own like a regular distro. I.ve never run
> Linux from a DOS partition but given the difference in
> filestructures, I think BL will run better on its own
> partition.What's the best way to do this?

Sounds like you're talking about BL 3.x. BL 1.x and 2.x either ran from a
ramdisk or were installed to and ext2 partition. Though BL 3.x runs from
a file stored on a DOS partition, it can also be installed to the HD
(i.e., to an ext2 partition). I haven't done that yet, but there must be
some directions for it: maybe try issuing the command "install"? If
you're not new to Linux, you'll likely know to prepare a partition
beforehand using fdisk or similar (cfdisk) and to create an ext2
filesystem on it and, most likely, a swap partition.

> 2. As far as adding packages I have read conflicting
> info. Do I get packages from Slack 7.1 or 3.5 ?

I think it works like this: BL 1.x uses Slack 4.0 and earlier progs and
files; BL 2.x uses Slack 7.1 progs and files (maybe some later Slack stuff
will work too); BL 3.x uses a mix - kernel modules from Slack 7.1 and
progs from Slack 4.0. If Steven is not too busy, he may jump in on this
too. What he says carries more authority, since he is the developer and
maintainer of BL.

James