baslinux - Re: [BL] LindowsOS 4.5

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LindowsOS 4.5
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:41:47 -0500 (CDT)

I think there are web forums devoted to Knoppix and DemoLinux you could
get help at. Maybe what you're not understanding is that you make a
bootable CD (a large file that usually has an .iso on the end gets burned
to CD) and you set your computer to boot from the CD drive. No files to
worry about there (unless you open a file mgr after the system has booted
form the CD into the gui and go rooting around). But it might be a whole
lot easier - certainly more manageable if you have a slow 'net connection
like dialin - to make the bootable floppy version of Basiclinux. You've
got nothing to lose but maybe a little time. Why not give it a try?
There are instructions on the BL homepage about making the boot floppies.
Follow them as best you can and post questions here about any hangups you
have. Make up the bootable diskettes, stick them in the computer and
boot, and soon you're running Basiclinux in RAM (it doesn't touch what's
on your hard drive unless you specifically tell it to). Try it and see if
you like it. You're only out 2 floppies (which you can likely reuse
anyway) and a couple hours of time if you decide not to stick with it.

James