baslinux - Re: [BL] Newb questions

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Newb questions
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 08:50:52 +1200

Carl Donnelly wrote:

> 1) Is there any zip program that can span a few diskettes
> and still be read by linux?

I think the DOS version of pkzip can span floppies, but AFAIK
the Linux version of zip does not do that automatically. One
option would be to use the split utility (either DOS or Linux)
to break a large zip file into floppy-sized chunks. It is then
easy (using DOS or Linux) to reassemble the chunks and unzip.

> 2) How do I make BasicLinux boot as soon as I turn on my computer.

If you are using loadlin.exe (in BOOT.BAT) to boot BasicLinux,
execute BOOT.BAT from your AUTOEXEC.BAT. DOS executes the
contents of AUTOEXEC.BAT automatically at startup.

> I tried putting it on one drive (c: - 4GB) with all the packages
> required for installation

That could work if you installed LILO.

> and when I reset my computer it said "Missing operating system"

What you are actually missing is a loader. An operating systems
needs to be loaded. loadlin.exe is a loader that runs from DOS.
LILO is a loader that runs from the boot sector of the disk.