baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.10

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.10
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:32:15 +1200

Ron Clarke wrote:

> > > Where would I look for the manual for this presentation prog ?
> > man mgp
>
> Yep, saw that. Wasn't what I meant. That just gives the tags for
> use with mgp.

MagicPoint is a widely-used Linux application. There's
lots of information around (including a discussion group).
The version in BL3 (1.07) is slightly old, but it's not
that different from the current version (although it is
a lot smaller).

> What do we call the file it is supposed to run - anything we like ?

Yes. It should have an .mgp suffix (but I don't think that
is compulsory).

> I see that you have used demo.mpg

Oops. I meant to put demo.mgp

> > ----------------------
> > export DISPLAY=clark:0
> > xterm &
> > ----------------------
> > Then clark will be able to run anything on lois from that xterm.
>
> Yes, it worked ! :)
>
> When I tried QV, that showed up on lois' screen and would
> only run from lois' keyboard. Interesting !

Is QV an SVGAlib program? I think SVGAlib only works locally.

> > ----------------------
> > export DISPLAY=clark:0
> > icewm &
> > ----------------------
>
> Yes, icewm works too ! I might just get a few (or a lot of)
> miles out of this. :)
>
> enlightenment which was then only controllable from lois'
> keyboard and displayed on lois' monitor.

Sounds like enlightenment is configured to display on
localhost:0 (rather than using the DISPLAY setting).
This might be changeable in one of the config files
enlightenment uses.

> Seems like there is a limit as to what will run on clark's monitor
> (where BL31 is).

It depends on how exportable the program on lois is.
Applications (like wordprocessors and browsers) usually
export just fine.