baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.10

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.10
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:19:33 +1200

Ron Clarke wrote:

> How do you shut the damn thing off once it is running ?

Press Q. I think ESC works too.

> Alt+tab, then logout ?

To shutdown X, CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE always works. Otherwise,
right-click mouse and click on the menu.

> Where would I look for the manual for this presentation prog ?

man mgp

> Also, it accesses my other machine (Lois, running thttpd under BL2.1)

BTW, thttpd is included in BL3.

> with links just fine. But how does one get to run Lois' applications
> from BL3 on Clark ?

You can transfer files by downloading from links or wget.
But actually running applications, while they are sitting on
another system, is a bit more complicated.

> Do I need to install and configure the NFS ?

That is one way of doing it. However, I removed the built-in
NFS capability from the BL3 kernel to save space. You would
need to do three insmods to get the BL3 kernel to mount a remote
NFS partition. Unfortunately, the necessary modules for that
are not included with BL3 (they are quite large), so you would
first have to download them.

But, a simpler option is available. Just startxt on clark.
Then on lois, export an xterm (or wm):
----------------------
export DISPLAY=clark:0
xterm &
Then clark will be able to run anything on lois from that xterm.

If you are unhappy about the window/font size of the xterm that
arrives on clark, use -font and -geometry parameters for that
xterm command (the & goes at the end) or simply send a wm:
export DISPLAY=clark:0
icewm &