baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.10

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.10
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:11:08 +1000

Hi Steven,

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:19:33 +1200
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > How do you shut the damn thing off once it is running ?
>
> Press Q. I think ESC works too.

NOW it works. It didn't the first time I ran it. :)

> > Alt+tab, then logout ?
>
> To shutdown X, CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE always works. Otherwise,
> right-click mouse and click on the menu.

But (CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE) didn't work while MagicPoint was running.

> > Where would I look for the manual for this presentation prog ?
>
> man mgp

Yep, saw that. Wasn't what I meant. That just gives the tags for use
with mgp.
What do we call the file it is supposed to run - anything we like ?
I see that you have used demo.mpg

> > Also, it accesses my other machine (Lois, running thttpd under BL2.1)
>
> BTW, thttpd is included in BL3.
>
> > with links just fine. But how does one get to run Lois' applications
> > from BL3 on Clark ?
>
> You can transfer files by downloading from links or wget.

Yes, I worked out how to do that.

> But actually running applications, while they are sitting on
> another system, is a bit more complicated.
>
> > Do I need to install and configure the NFS ?
>
> That is one way of doing it. However, I removed the built-in
> NFS capability from the BL3 kernel to save space. You would
> need to do three insmods to get the BL3 kernel to mount a remote
> NFS partition. Unfortunately, the necessary modules for that
> are not included with BL3 (they are quite large), so you would
> first have to download them.
>
> But, a simpler option is available. Just startxt on clark.
> Then on lois, export an xterm (or wm):
> ----------------------
> export DISPLAY=clark:0
> xterm &
> ----------------------
> Then clark will be able to run anything on lois from that xterm.

Yes, it worked ! :)

Didn't run everything, but ! When I tried QV, that showed up on lois'
screen and would only run from lois' keyboard. Interesting !

> If you are unhappy about the window/font size of the xterm that
> arrives on clark, use -font and -geometry parameters for that
> xterm command (the & goes at the end) or simply send a wm:
> ----------------------
> export DISPLAY=clark:0
> icewm &
> ----------------------

Yes, icewm works too ! I might just get a few (or a lot of) miles out
of this. :)

I also managed to get BL3.1 to access my Peanut Linux (also installed on a
partition on the lois machine).
I was able to run MC OK, and to load enlightenment which was then only
controllable from lois'
keyboard and displayed on lois' monitor. Seems like there is a limit as to
what will run on
clark's monitor (where BL31 is).

Regards,
Ron