baslinux - Re: [BL] Shared library upgrades

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Shared library upgrades
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 01:01:39 -0400 (EDT)

The only problems I had were due to my NOT upgrading glibc when I upgraded
glibcso, which made it impossible to compile shared programs. Then I was
unable to downgrade glibcso and compile, or even use ar again. Something
was still expecting glibc 2.2 and I never figured this out. So I will be
upgrading both libraries from now on.

I needed 2.3 to use Opera 7.23 (6.03 works but unloads itself frequently).
Also to use a standard precompiled Kermit.

The only reason I wanted to keep the older glibc was to compile for other
BL2 users who had not upgrade glibcso. I am giving up on this as it is
easy and not very space consuming to upgrade glibcso. It does not seem
necessary to upgrade the other four files used in compiling (linuxinc is
kernel specific, egcs and make and binutils from SW71 seem to work with
the later glibc from SW71).