baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 01:10:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > What changes or additions are you already planning?
>
> I've removed one font (the large helvetica) and added
> two (a 14x24 and a scalable). I've also stripped all
> the fonts (except the scalable). Nothing else has been
> removed (so far). There is one significant addition --
> a new application that runs in X.

I might try this same set of fonts in BL2. What does it mean to strip
fonts?

> > I suggest telling people to bypass himem.sys in config.sys
> > in MSDOS 6.22 by hitting F5 or using a menu in the README
> > file.
>
> The README file already says:
> Problem?
> ~~~~~~~~
> To boot correctly, BL3 needs a relatively clean DOS. If BL3
> refuses to boot (or it crashes when you try to run X), start
> your DOS without extras: no CONFIG.SYS, no AUTOEXEC.BAT, no
> Windows.

Note that I suggested telling beginners HOW to bypass config.sys. I did
not know that you could do this using either F5 or a boot menu, and
thought I would need to boot from floppy disk.

> > Also mailto from links directly, not to outbox.
>
> Why would I want to do that???

So it would work the way mailto usually works, at least that is how it is
set up at two shell accounts that I have. You mail something to a link
immediately, while browsing. Same thing in my DOS version of lynx. And
in Opera. I am used to sending all my mail immediately, not if I happen
to remember later to send mail from the outbox after writing it, before I
forget and hang up the connection.

I have also been using pmail while online
pmail -s subject address
I think this sends it immediately instead of to outbox.

I would also appreciate vga=ask in order to use 100 or 132 columns in text
mode.