baslinux - [BL] BL3 works in 3M RAM with telnet or links-0.90

  • From: keesan AT iamjlamb.com
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 works in 3M RAM with telnet or links-0.90
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:13:07 -0500 (EST)

I set mem=3M in boot.bat and put # in front of the second two
getty lines in inittab and booted again.

I can dial (ppp-on), telnet (busybox) and ppp-off.
Ppp-off is rather slow and I hear the hard drive for
a while but ppp-on and telnet were reasonably fast.

I can also browse with links, only slightly slower
than usual (a bit of hard drive noise).

I can load Xvesa in real time, but when I try to load
Xvesa and rxvt the hard drive makes noise for a long time,
I get some vertical green stripes and a crash. I cannot
reboot either. I presume this means it ran out of RAM.

BL3 should be quite usable in 3M for writing mail (if
this arrives it worked), and for telnetting to a shell
account to do mail and use lynx or links there.

I can also do mail and telnet and run lynx in DOS
in 3M, with a DOS viewer, using less disk space.

I do not have the swap file unzipped. I thought you
could not swap to hard drive without a swap file or
partition. Please explain, Steven, why I hear the
hard drive when trying to load too much at once?