baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Xvesa without swm uses half the RAM (fwd)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Xvesa without swm uses half the RAM (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:27:26 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> You said it was possible to run X in 4M RAM, presumably
> with swm/MENU.

Nope. As it says: 8mb RAM for running X stand-alone
(with swm/MENU).

> If so, it should be possible without sw/MENU in 3M RAM
> since they take up over 1M RAM.

swm is 18kb. MENU is 12kb. They don't use up anywhere near
1mb RAM, unless you add in the X11 library (which is loaded
by the first binary you run in X).

> The kernel appears to be using about 2.1M RAM,

dmesg will tell you exactly how much memory the kernel is
occupying.

> If I have mem=4M why is total 2724 not 4M?

Because the memory occupied by the kernel is not included
in the total.

> What is the smallest amount of RAM BL3 can be run in with
> one vc and not using X?

As it says: 3mb RAM. I have successfully booted BL3 with
mem=2432K, but it swaps badly.

> We have a laptop computer, this one with a good floppy drive,
> enough space on the hard drive for BL3, but 2M RAM.

Sorry, 2mb RAM won't boot BL3.