baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Xvesa without swm uses half the RAM (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Xvesa without swm uses half the RAM (fwd)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:49:29 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> What is the smallest amount of RAM BL3 can be run in with one vc and not
> using X? We have a laptop computer, this one with a good floppy drive,
> enough space on the hard drive for BL3, but 2M RAM.

I just set mem=3M and booted BL3 with 1vc in inittab. total memory 1712,
used 1524, free 188. After ppp-on this changes to 1508 used 204 free.
I can dial and telnet with 3M RAM. I am telnetted that way now.

Unless I am misreading my notes, with 4M RAM I had total memoery 2724,
2476 used, 248 free. WHat is going on here? Why does booting with 1M more
RAM cause almost 1M more RAM to be used?

Am I reading the results of 'free' incorrectly?

We have a 386 with 3M RAM which should work with BL3 for telnetting
(except it has a 30M HD which is nearly full already) but probably not for
browsing. Lynx/DOS works there.