baslinux - Re: [BL] occasional glitches with plip connection

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] occasional glitches with plip connection
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:29:13

On 16 Mar 04 at 7:58, mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>> 1. What would you say, has caused the damage? Actually there have
>> been many timeout errors during the copying procedure. But this
>> generally does not cause damages in the files (I thought until now)
>
>It certainly could cause errors, depending on exactly how they happened and
>what went on.

Well difficult to tell, as I just left the machine in the night
alone, mc doing all the copying, but the screen was all the time full
of error messages. Steven would probably say: do not use mc.

>Use cksum
>
>cksum filename gives you a number (actually two IIRC, one being the
>filesize, the other being a key based on the file contents). Check the
>number you get is the same on both sides of the transfer - if it is, the
>file is probably OK.

This is very interesting. When I tried cmp or under DOS fc I realized
that it would hardly be faster than doing all the copying hd copying
again.

On the other hand I wonder how this magic can this work. If you have
two equally long non-redundant file, how can such a small number
grant that their content is identical? Any mathematicians around, who
can explain this?

Regards
Christof

Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
Prokopova 4, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
phone: (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov