baslinux - Re: [BL] user instead of root

  • From: Nomdo Jansonius <nomdo AT dds.nl>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] user instead of root
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:44:51 +100

Thanks to Russ Loroville and Robert Steinmetz for their responses. They
made me (almost) fix the problem. For netscape I did the following steps:

as "root":

cd /home/user
mkdir .netscape
cd .netscape
mkdir archive
mkdir cache
cd .. (i.e. back to /home/user)
cp /root/.xinitrc /home/user/.xinitrc
cd .. (i.e. to /home)
chmod -R 777 user

reboot (possibly not obligated), and then as "user":

startx
netscape

Now almost everything works fine. However, Backspace does not function
correctly in Netscape, whereas it does function correctly in e.g. Xterm.
I succesfully applied the same procedure in BasicLinux 1.7 with Netscape
4.51. Amazingly, in BL1.7/Netscape 4.51 the Backspace does function
correctly! Any suggestions?