baslinux - Re: [BL] flwriter; wp51 and dosemu

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] flwriter; wp51 and dosemu
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:41:21 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, sindi keesan wrote:

> I put xmodmap and the name of my modified xmodmap.std file in .xinitrc
> instead of rc.S because it will only work after you load X. Now the
> backspace works properly in Ted and Flwriter and xterm.

Thanks for that info. Could come in handy at some point.

> 2. Dosemu will save files if you start it as dosemu -home. You can then
> cd to D: and or specify to save files in D: which is the same as
> /home/user/ (user being your login - won't work as root). Load the DOS
> programs you want to use in /home/user/ (where there is also the directory
> dosemu) and you can access any saved files from linux.
>
> You can also login as root on one terminal and as user on another terminal
> and switch between the terminals. I think this will let me see two
> screens at once on a two-monitor system and thus display a gif in linux
> (with seejpeg or zgv or even some X program) on the vga monitor, and
> translate from what I see on the TTL monitor using dosemu and wp51/DOS.

zgv actually works from the console with svgalib installed and the proper
conf file. Very helpful info on using dosemu - please keep us posted.
I'm not sure what "translate . . . using . . . wp51" means, though.

> We tested this with Jim's asm86 text editor, which he wants to use for
> editing C programs until he learns to rewrite it in Linux assembly
> language (maybe nasm). Before you can edit a file you need to copy it to
> D: (/home/user/) and THEN start dosemu -home. Or switch to another
> (non-dosemu) terminal and copy the file and switch back to the first
> terminal where you are using dosemu.
>
> You need shadow.tgz to set up user accounts with passwords (five
> characters or longer). Dosemu will only work from /home/user/
>
> Is there some way to access files in the regular DOS partitions while
> using dosemu? I have saved hundreds of old translations that I modify to
> make new ones, but could copy them to the /home/user/ directory in linux
> if necessary.
>
> Dosemu lets you use both dos and linux commands - cp or copy, move or mv,
> ls or dir. But not dir/w.

Great info. Thanks for relaying it. I would think that, given the logic
of how dosemu works plus my knowledge of Linux/DOS and IDE hardware, that
mounting your DOS drive partition under your /home/user dir would be the
way to go. E.g.,
mkdir /home/user/DOS
mount /dev/hdXX /home/user/DOS
Make a proper /home/user/DOS entry in your /etc/fstab and it gets
automounted every time you boot the computer, so that the DOS
drive/partition is always accessible to dosemu. This is all deduction,
since I've not worked much with dosemu, but it's at least possible it will
work and accomplish what you need.

James