baslinux - Re: [BL] linux <-> linux?

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] linux <-> linux?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:42:33 +1300

Robert Steinmetz wrote:

> A linux machine can use Samba to see another machine's files
> if the smbfs capability is compiled into the kernel. I never
> looked to see if it was in BL,

Yes, the BL2 kernel has that capability:
------------
insmod smbfs
You can get that module from Slackware: /modules/2.2.16/fs

> As an advanced learning experiment you may want to attempt
> a Samba client only installation.

Not me. I've got no Windows machines here.

> It would be much smaller than the full Samba distribution.
> probably as small as the NFS client.

Zero? There is no separate NFS client. The mount command
automatically does NFS (as long as you point it at an
appropriate NFS server).