baslinux - Re: [BL] linux <-> linux?

  • From: Robert Steinmetz <rob AT steinmetznet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] linux <-> linux?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:41:02 -0500

qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
I was thinking there's a small simple way to do it, but you
had referred me to Samba?

Samba allows a Linux machine to see a Windows machine (or visa
versa).

A linux machine can use Samba to see another machine's files if the smbfs capability is compiled into the kernel. I never looked to see if it was in BL, but most all standard Linux kernels have this option, However you will need some additional programs from the samba suite to use the capability.  As an advanced learning experiment you may want to attempt a Samba client only installation. It would be much smaller than the full Samba distribution.  probably as small as the NFS client.
Anyhow, Samba  seems to have to do with Linux <-> Windows?
which I would like to do, and I did ask that originally.
But now I'm at what should be (?) a simpler task, getting
two PCs running BL to see each other's files,

NFS allows a Linux machine to see a Linux machine.  It is
*much* smaller than samba and much easier to set up.

allow transfers, etc etc?

For transfers, send/receive is adequate.
You may want to look into FTP for file transfer, it is almost universal even Windows has versions.
I see there's something called "nfs"?

The NFS server (and a lot of other stuff is in:
 /slakware/n6/tcpip1.tgz

--
Robert Steinmetz
Principal