baslinux - Re: [BL] linux <-> linux?

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] linux <-> linux?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:00:41 +1300

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> I made the two 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
> They ping each other just fine!

OK, your network connection is ready.

> Now, how to have each computer "see" the other, like
> they do in Windows with Netbeui,

To let one computer see the filesystem on the other, you
will need to install some sort of filesystem server on one
of the machines. Or, for a simple transfer of files, you
can use receive and send (which are already in BasicLinux).

> I tried "receive" and "send", but got 'Connection refused'

* First, ping to make sure you're connection is good.
* Execute "receive" on one machine (and leave it running).
* Execute "send" on the other machine.
* When you are finished, do CTRL-C on both machines.

> or some such message.

To diagnose the problem fully, I need to see the exact error
message.

> I was thinking there's a small simple way to do it, but you
> had referred me to Samba?

Samba allows a Linux machine to see a Windows machine (or visa
versa).

> Anyhow, Samba seems to have to do with Linux <-> Windows?
> which I would like to do, and I did ask that originally.
> But now I'm at what should be (?) a simpler task, getting
> two PCs running BL to see each other's files,

NFS allows a Linux machine to see a Linux machine. It is
*much* smaller than samba and much easier to set up.

> allow transfers, etc etc?

For transfers, send/receive is adequate.

> I see there's something called "nfs"?

The NFS server (and a lot of other stuff is in:
/slakware/n6/tcpip1.tgz