baslinux - [BL] linux <-> linux?

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: BasLinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [BL] linux <-> linux?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:24:32 -0400

Sorry to bother you with another newbie question:

This computer, "ASUS", can boot the RAMdisk version of BasicLinux 2.1, and
the other one, "FIC", can boot it from hard drive.

Accoring to a file (see below) on the disc that came with the network card
in the ASUS, one should use a rtl8139.o driver file?

So I found that at
http://ftp.tiscali.de/pub/slackware/slackware7.1/modules/2.2.16/net/rtl8139.

and got back into BL and eventually said

insmod rtl8139.o

and then when I said lsmod it showed up .

So I said ifconfig eth0 192.74.53.10 as the Belkin text said to, and
then when I said ifconfig -a it showed that address.

But when I went to the FIC computer and said ping 192.74.53.10 the
message said Network is unreachable.

And the same thing happened on the ASUS when I said ping 192.168.1.1
which was the inet addr: shown on the FIC by ifconfig -a

Does this have to do with the crossover cable? That works fine when both
computers are doing Windows.

Thanks a lot,

Sheldon Isaac

===================
Belkin Components
F5D5000 PCI Card / Desktop Network PCI Card
Driver Installation for LINUX
Contents:
---------
A) Driver Installation by Using Bundled Driver
B) Driver Installation by Using Compiled Driver

A) Driver Installation by Using Bundled Driver
Some LINUX kernels had supported rtl8139 NIC. You can check whether
rtl8139.o exists or not. If your LINUX (ex. RedHat 6.1 or above) can
auto-detect rtl8139 NIC, you just skip the following installations and
follow the screen's instructions to install rtl8139.o driver directly.

1. Check the driver file "/lib/modules/2.0.XX/net/rtl8139.o".
Where the XX is the version number of the latest kernel.

2. Add "alias eth0 rtl8139" into the /etc/conf.modules file.

cd /etc
vi conf.modules
alias eth0 rtl8139

3. Run the following commands at the LINUX prompt.

modprobe rtl8139

ifconfig eth0 192.74.53.10

4. Now, you can run 'ifconfig' or 'netstat -i' to see if there is a
interface 'eth0'.

<SNIP>