baslinux - [BL] plip link for remote xsession?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] plip link for remote xsession?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:14:30 -0500 (CDT)

I'm trying to resurrect an old notebook whose floppy drive is shot and
whose hard drive is on the verge. Nonetheless, I thought I might do
something useful with it by making it an xterminal for my much better
desktop. To save on expense in doing this, I'd like to use the parallel
ports on both machines, since neither are used for printers or anything
else and I have a DCC cable laying around. I'm led to believe that a
remote xsession is possible (speed-wise) via parallel port based on some
reading I did on setting up X for old pc's at one of Steven's sites: he
described there setting up 2 old 486's with one serving X to the other,
and listed a parallel port cable as one way of doing. I should first ask
if I understood this correctly, and whether it really will be possible to
get a remote xsession from my desktop via DCC cable functioning at
reasonable speeds? If I'm correct in that assumption, then I need help
with the following problem.

I began setting things up the way Steven described them for setting up
network communications via parallel port. I should mention here that
this is a BL2 system I'm referring to. I did insmod parport successfully.
But when I tried insmod plip, I got an error: plip; no devices registered
insmod; init_module; plip; device or resource busy. So, why this? I did
cat /proc/devices, as that page had instructed - before trying insmod
parport and insmod plip - but lp did not appear there. Any tips on how to
proceed from here?

Thanks, James