baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 crash!!!

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 crash!!!
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:32:59 +0000

russ loroville wrote:

> I uninstalled 2 programs with pkgtool:
> 1. cxxlibs.tgz

Shouldn't be a problem.

> 2. glibcso.tgz.

Disaster. That's your main library (that most things
are dependent on). When you install glibcso.tgz, it
overwrites the existing BL2 glibc libraries. It must
not be un-installed.

> BL2 could not recognize any of the commands after
> the uninstall, even ctrl-alt-del wouldn't work.

ctrl-alt-del executes the shutdown command and the
shutdown binary needs glibc.

> I turned off the computer power, tried to reboot
> Kernel loaded upto "init" and it couldn't locate init.

The init binary, too, needs glibc.

> Any way to "save" it or should I reformat and startover.

Try this:
(1) boot the ramdisk version of BL2.
(2) mount the BL2 HD partition at /hd
(3) enter the following lines:
cp -a /lib/* /hd/lib
cp -a /etc/nsswitch.conf /hd/etc
/hd/sbin/ldconfig -r /hd
(4) make note of any error messages you get
(5) umount /hd and reboot