baslinux - Re: [BL] pdftotext

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pdftotext
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 14:52:56 -0400 (EDT)

This is from Neo Sze Wee's Syschk report:

> VIDEO--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Active Video: VESA VGA (Version 1.1)
> BIOS Source: WESTERN DIGITAL INC.
> VESA OEM ID: Western Digital Inc
> VGA ChipSet: Paradise WD90c31
> Max Video Resolution: 1280 x 1024 with 16 colors
> Max Video Colors: 256 (1024 x 768)
> Video Memory: 1024 KB

I looked in the svgalib manual for Paradise and Western Digital and this
chip is not listed in the list of supported chips, which explains why it
is not working properly with Links 2.1.9 in graphical console mode.

They list S3, ATI, Oak, Trident, Tseng and a few other more common chips.
People had to write individual drivers for each chip and nobody wrote one
for this chip.

Does your chip work with Xvga16? I have a Linux book that lists chips
supported by X, including Western Digital WD90C31. This is supposed to
work in 256 color mode. Try XSVGA.tgz if you want more than 16 colors,
and forget about running programs that require svgalib, which does not
support as many chips as the X servers.

My Vesa 1.1 Realtek RTG3106, which also scrambles the screen, is also
listed for use with X but not for svgalib.

I have no idea why pdftotext for DOS won't work for you.

I am still waiting for Doug to get back with me about the pdfimages
program and what to do with the working versions of pdftotext and pdftops.
I think I am missing one man page that ought to be included. He is busy
with other things.