baslinux - Re: [BL] isapnp tools for BL?

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] isapnp tools for BL?
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 07:10:10 +0000

James Miller wrote:

> Isapnp seems to offer a form of software configuration
> for ISA cards, which was, apparently, the way the
> computer industry was moving

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that MicroSoft was
instrumental in developing Plug'n'Play. It was part of
their program to make Windows suitable for idiots.

> (and away from physical jumpering)

I like physical jumpering. If you know what you are doing,
it is completely reliable (unlike Plug'n'Pray). I have
owned a dozen different 486s and have never needed PnP for
any of them.

> The card I was trying to configure had no physical
> jumpers, but was configurable (varying IO's/IRQ's)
> using a DOS utility.

That is an advantage of booting BasicLinux from DOS.
If DOS configuration is necessary, it can be done before
executing loadlin.exe.

> Seems like isapnp tools might have allowed me to make
> those configurations under Linux.

If you really want to try it, you will find the package
in /slakware/a3

> I likewise have some older smc-ultra cards with jumpers
> for a couple sets of IO/IRQ settings, but also a setting
> for "software configuration.

I would *definitely* use the jumper for IO/IRQ. It's
simple, clean and definite.

> So, I'm just wondering; have you looked into isapnp
> tools, Steven?

Nope. Nor have I looked into kerneld (which automatically
installs modules). I prefer hands-on configuration, rather
than depending on some wizard to do it for me.

> Would it be a useful thing to have installed on a BL
> system?

IMO no. However, if you have a piece of hardware that
absolutely needs it, then it could be useful for you.