baslinux - Re: [BL] reading Excel files

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] reading Excel files
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 07:22:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> I forgot to mention that you can also set up a free FreeBSD account at
> m-net.arbornet.org. One of our list members is emailing from an account
> there but lives in another state. It might work for you to telnet to
> where grex (my bbs) did not. m-net was the original computer conferencing
> system from which grex split off just over 10 years ago. It has much
> younger members but much faster and less crowded hardware.

I looked into arbornet and actually set up an account there a couple of
months ago. Since they only allow 500kb of mail storage, I decided to
abandon it. The best of all the shell providers I've found is
lonestar.org. There, you can get a free trial shell account that actually
gives you a decent amount of space, allows you to run the mutt mail
client, naim and a few other Linux apps. If, within 90 days, you send
them a $1 donation, the account becomes permanent (for life, if I recall
correctly), you get alot more mail storage AND web space (10MB each) and
alot more apps become available to you. I decided to select their highest
membership tier (ARPA) and got, for a one-time donation of about $40, 100
MB web space, 100 MB mail storage and 100 MB of file storage - for life.
Steven: may I donate some of that web and/or file space to BL?

> > I suppose you and your
> > partner know that video RAM for onboard chips is often configurable in
> > the BIOS settings? You may be able to increase it to 4, 6 or 8 MB there
> > (it uses some segment of your SDRAM). If it is, that may resolve, or at
> > least help, your display problems.
>
> Have not tried that. It would not work at all in our 486 or an older
> Pentium. Thanks. We did this once for a friend's computer to increase
> usable non-video RAM when he needed more RAM for a DSL line. But we have
> also run into several ISA video cards which were supposed to have 1MB RAM
> but only 256K of it worked (plain VGA).
>
> The video chip on the card has a heat sink the same size as found on a 386
> cpu, plus another one for a transistor, both rather dusty.

I was actually referring to the onboard chip. It sounds like you're
talking about the video card that went bad. To set the amount of video
RAM for the 2MB onboard video chip that you said was having a hard time
keeping up with graphics, take a look in the computer's BIOS settings for
video RAM options. You may be able to increase the amount of RAM it gets
alotted to 4, 6 or 8 MB (increasing it from 2MB), thus resolving or
alleviating its problems in keeping up with GIMP's or the desktop's
display.

James