baslinux - Re: [BL] reading Excel files

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] reading Excel files
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 01:19:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 jamtat AT mailsnare.net wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:
>
> > partner found at the curb a Pentium 475MHz 225MB RAM 8G hard drive with
> > Redhat 7 on it that he wants to play with first. It has Mozilla 1.01 and
> > GIMP. It also has GNOME, which slows it down to a fast crawl compared to
> > BL2 on a 486 with 16M RAM. Or maybe GNOME wants a faster video chip. The
>
> Where do you live? I think I'll be moving to your neighborhood soon :)

Southeast Michigan - university town. We also get lots of free bikes.

I forgot to mention that you can also set up a free FreeBSD account at
m-net.arbornet.org. One of our list members is emailing from an account
there but lives in another state. It might work for you to telnet to
where grex (my bbs) did not. m-net was the original computer conferencing
system from which grex split off just over 10 years ago. It has much
younger members but much faster and less crowded hardware.

> > 8M RAM video card in the machine was bad

> I suppose you and your
> partner know that video RAM for onboard chips is often configurable in
> the BIOS settings? You may be able to increase it to 4, 6 or 8 MB there
> (it uses some segment of your SDRAM). If it is, that may resolve, or at
> least help, your display problems.

Have not tried that. It would not work at all in our 486 or an older
Pentium. Thanks. We did this once for a friend's computer to increase
usable non-video RAM when he needed more RAM for a DSL line. But we have
also run into several ISA video cards which were supposed to have 1MB RAM
but only 256K of it worked (plain VGA).

The video chip on the card has a heat sink the same size as found on a 386
cpu, plus another one for a transistor, both rather dusty.