baslinux - Re: [BL] reading Excel files

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] reading Excel files
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 19:13:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> partner found at the curb a Pentium 475MHz 225MB RAM 8G hard drive with
> Redhat 7 on it that he wants to play with first. It has Mozilla 1.01 and
> GIMP. It also has GNOME, which slows it down to a fast crawl compared to
> BL2 on a 486 with 16M RAM. Or maybe GNOME wants a faster video chip. The

Where do you live? I think I'll be moving to your neighborhood soon :)

> 8M RAM video card in the machine was bad (which is why they threw out the
> computer) and the 2M RAM onboard video (VESA 2.0) cannot keep up with
> drawing all those icons. It was close to 10 minutes from turning on the
> computer to loading OpenOffice wordprocessor (or seemed like it anyway -
> maybe 5 minutes). Like the Redhat 6 that I had on one computer, this
> Redhat loads every imaginable TSR before you can use it. It seems like no
> matter how fast you make a computer, someone can make software that
> renders it unusably slow.

I suppose you and your partner know that video RAM for onboard chips is
often configurable in the BIOS settings? You may be able to increase it
to 4, 6 or 8 MB there (it uses some segment of your SDRAM). If it is,
that may resolve, or at least help, your display problems.

James