baslinux - Re: [BL] make_fd

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] make_fd
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 14:54:52 +0000

russ loroville wrote:

> Will BL2 be able to recognise(mount) the
> incredibly large hard drives that many of
> the new XP machchin have??

I don't think the size of the drive should be a problem.
However, mounting an XP drive probably requires the
NTFS module from Slackware 7.1. Initially, I intending
supplying that module in BL2, but because of its size
(and because my lack of an XP machine stopped me from
testing it), I left it out.

BTW, neither the make_fd routine, nor the floppies it
creates, need to mount the XP drive. make_fd.bat runs
purely in DOS and doesn't use Linux at all. And the two
floppies are self-contained and don't use the XP harddrive.

So, even though XP can not boot BL2 directly (using boot.bat),
it (apparently) can create the floppies (using make_fd.bat),
then insert the first floppy, reset the computer, and boot
BL2 that way.