baslinux - Re: [BL] pdftotext

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pdftotext
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:34:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 28 May 2003 keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> Doug has posted pdftotext and pdfimages in a zip file for me to try. When
> I mentioned that I don't know how to use a zip file with linux he put
> together a static version of a linux unzip program. Then also pdfimage.
> He said to ask foolabs if it is okay to post just the console programs
> from xpdf, with documentation and a pointer to the website. I have not
> heard back from foolabs. If I hear back, and if all these programs work,
> we are welcome to post them (as a .tgz package) at Steve's basiclinux
> site. I don't have time to test the programs until this weekend so I
> asked if it is okay for other basiclinux users to test them. I will post
> the URLs if it is okay.

I would be delighted to try them - especially pdftotext. I've been
waiting for a URL from which the program(s) could be downloaded for some
time now. Btw: one quick and easy way to handle .zip (and tar.gz and
possibly other compressed formats) is to use a version of MC (midnight
commander) that has support for decompressing enabled. Probably the
Slack71 package has this capability: not sure about the mini-mc available
from JP. In any case, with such a version of MC, you only need to
navigate to the file in question, highlight it and hit "enter." The file
is then shown its uncompressed form (often as a directory containing
files and subdirectories) and it can be copied from there to some other
folder (e.g., /home/user) in its uncompressed form.

James