baslinux - Re: [BL] miniX 8bits on line !

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] miniX 8bits on line !
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:18:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 May 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote to :

> > 4M will take me a long time to download (maybe 40 minutes)
>
> How long did it take you to download the two versions
> of Opera?

Opera has a commercial site with a large bandwidth (or whatever you call
it) and I was able to download from there at least twice as fast as from
the slackware mirror sites, maybe three times. The fastest Slackware site
I have found downloads at about 1.5K/sec (highly variable) on my 33K
modem. I don't recall how fast JP's site downloads.

> > I think the regular server is only about 1M download.
>
> The miniX package is much more than an Xserver.
> It includes the libraries, fonts, binaries, etc.
> The BasicLinux X packages total more than 5mb
> (and that doesn't include chimera, flwriter or paint).

I think you are saying that this package can be used INSTEAD of all the
Slackware X packages that you listed for us to install X with. I thought
it was something to be used in addition, to replace VGA16 with SVGA.
What makes this a custom SVGA server?