baslinux - Re: [BL] miniX 8bits on line !

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] miniX 8bits on line !
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 18:26:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 May 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:
> >
> > I was able to download from there at least twice
> > as fast as from the slackware mirror sites, maybe
> > three times. The fastest Slackware site I have
> > found
>
> Did you try them all?

No, only about 5 of them. The tiscali site was consistently among the
fastest but rarely got up to 2K/sec (on a 33K modem). Would it be faster
to download to my friend's server (at 40K/sec) and then ftp (at 33K via
modem)? Perhaps my ISP is just slow? Sometimes I also get 'stalled for
30 sec' or 'stalled for 2 minutes' and I give up. Would Kermit file
transfer be as fast or faster than Kermit ftp? I have tried wget as well
as the various browsers.

I will try my luck with the .rpm packages that I already have on CD,
which should be MUCH faster if it works.

> > downloads at about 1.5K/sec
>
> I have had *much* faster downloads from the mirrors.
Which one(s) do you find to be fastest?

> > (highly variable)
>
> It certainly does vary. You need to consider what
> time it is (at the location of the mirror). During
> peak times (local time) the download will usually
> be slower than at night (local time) or weekend.
Thanks, I may try the Australia site some time.
I try to do the larger downloads on Sundays, too.