baslinux - [BL] Installation NOW COMPLETE

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Installation NOW COMPLETE
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:48:51 +1000

Hi Folks, Steven,

I wrote:
> They were downloaded by, and into, a DOS system. Then loaded onto an
> external ZIP drive for transfer into the target machine.
> Would that have caused any damage to all but the BL2-02.ZIP ?

Well, it seems that downloading all the HD installation packages from
the mirror site, by FTP, with Wiz-lynx, DID corrupt each and every
package.

That was from:
ftp://mirror.pudas.net:21/slackware/slackware-7.1/slakware/

So, I used Arachne, by http, to get those packages from:

http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/Linux/slackware/slackware-7.1/slakware/

and the installation went as slick as one could wish. And it took a lot
longer this time. And I even have Icewm running. On a '486 33 MHz yet !
But the little activity guage is nearly always full of green trace -
even just moving the mouse will do that. :)

Next step MC.

BUT: I still get that odd error message and extra login.
"/sbin/e2fsck bad magic number in super block while trying to open
/dev/hda1 (null)"
Then I am told that if hda1 is truly e2sf, then to use a different super
block number.
Then I am told to reboot.
Then I am offered login: Password:
any random keys get through that but I am told "crypto not supported",
or it by-passes this anyway after about 60 seconds.
Then it claims to be running level 3, several more lines, then the
familiar BL Welcome screen and login as root.

Is there a script I can edit to skip this stuff ? hda1 IS there, but
it is a DOS HD.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke