baslinux - Re: [BL] Installation NOW COMPLETE

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installation NOW COMPLETE
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:28:09 +0000

Ron Clarke wrote:

> And I even have Icewm running. On a '486 33 MHz yet !
> But the little activity guage is nearly always full of
> green trace

X does put quite a burden on a 486-33, especially
if there is only 8mb RAM. How much RAM do you have
on that machine? If you have more than 8mb, it would
be worth trying links2. It will probably be sluggish,
but it might be useable (even though the gauge fills
for much of the time).

> - even just moving the mouse will do that. :)

On my P166, I get a tiny green blip when I move the
mouse -- unless it passes over a link (then it hits
about 50%).

> BUT: I still get that odd error message and extra login.
> "/sbin/e2fsck bad magic number in super block while trying
> to open /dev/hda1 (null)"

You *definitely* shouldn't be running e2fsck (the checker
for ext2 filesystems) on a DOS partition. I'm guessing
that this is happening because you have /dev/hda1 in your
/etc/fstab. Please send a copy of the entire fstab file
and I will try to sort out where the problem is occuring.