b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: yahoo-arch AT heplist.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 17:09:18 -0600

Hi Ratson,

Thanks for chiming in on this one.  I have never done any serious study of Origen's Hexapla.  With regard to the second column, could you provide some estimate as to how much of it is indisputably extant.

Thanks and Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary
Edmonton, Alberta

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM, <yahoo-arch AT heplist.com> wrote:
Jerry wrote:
> Besides this,
> I believe the Masoretic is much more reliable than 99%.

I would have to disagree on such a high estimate of reliability. Just browsing the transliterations found in the Hexapla (notably, the second column, aka "Secunda") and the LXX would indicate there is certainly room for doubts on the accuracy of the Masoretic pointing. For example, the changes under Philippi's Law (accented, originally closed syllable <i> becomes <a>) does not occur in the Hexapla or the Babylonian vocalization, but does occur in the Masoretic/Tiberian pronunciation.

--
Ratson Naharädama
Denver, CO