b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (Karl, Jerry, Ratson)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (Karl, Jerry, Ratson)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:19:55 -0600

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for this information.  Very helpful.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary
Edmonton, Alberta

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Rolf <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no> wrote:
Dear Ratson,

In connection with my MA thesis I made a comparison of the Greek vowels used in the Hexapla and the Hebrew vowels in the MT. The result of a portion of the Hexapla is as follows:

192 sere: epsilon: 34, eta: 139, iota: 4, other:15.

472 hireq: iota: 258, epsilon: 107, epsilon-iota: 28, alfa 24, other: 45.

198 segol: epsilon: 102, alfa: 42, no vowel: 39.

466 qamets: alfa: 362, epsilon: 7, no vowel: 74.

369 patah: alfa: 212, epsilon: 86, iota: 5, no vowel: 31, other: 28

257 holem-qibbuts: omega: 217, omikron: 24, omikron-ypsilon: 5, other: 10.

157 shureq: omikron-ypsilon: 144, omikron: 2, omega: 3, other: 8.

206 shewa qui.: no vowel: 181, epsilon: 5, alfa: 7.

270 shewa mob.: no vowel: 184, epsilon: 33, alfa: 44, omikron: 5, eta: 3, iota: 1.

We see that by and large there is a good correspondence. One important difference is that the WAW plus gemination in the WAYYIQTOLs are transliterated as omikron-ypsilon. So, there is no difference between WAYYIQTOL  and WEYIQTOL.

In my view, the pointing of the Masoretes are very close to the vowels that were pronounced when the Hebrew text was recited by those who wrote the DSS. The only exception may be the use of shewa. A fine article that illuminates the issue is: James Barr, ""Vocalization and the Analysis of Hebrew among the Ancient Translators," Hebräische Wortforschung. Festschrift zum 80 Geburtstag von Walter Bsaumgartner, Supp Vetus Testamentum XVI, pp. 1-11. Also: E.Y. Kutcher, The language and the Linguistic background of the Isaiah Scroll." Studies in the Texts of the Desert of Judah, Vol 6, 1974.

In view of the fact that the books of the Tanakh were written over a period of several hundred years, the text (word forms, grammar, syntax) is remarkably uniform. The timbre of vowels may be different in different places where a language is spoken at the same time, and may also change through time. But I am not aware of any evidence indicating that the words of the Hebrew language, say, in the 7th century BCE, had different vowels compared with the DSS and the MT.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway