b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] masoretes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] masoretes
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:38:43 +0100

I have a book by angel saenz badillos called 'The History of the Hebrew Langauge'. When I bought it it I did not realise how difficult his langauge would be, he uses terminologies and latin expressions and defines concepts that just fly over my head and leave me 'umphhed' However, I double-checked a few pages and he does make it clear that the original pronounciation of Hebrew was so different from the time of the masoretes. I tried to find where he might have mentioned that the aleph yod vav and heh were introduced as vowels, but unless he has clouded that information in ancient latin and unfamiliar grammatical terminology I can not find it. So how do the analysts know that these four consonants were then later inserted to be used as vowels? Just a question.

Chris Watts
Ireland