b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:04:58 -0700

Jerry:

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com> wrote:
 Karl, Karl, try to follow the flow of the discussion.  It was you who first mentioned corruption in regard to Mishnaic Hebrew in the midst of a discussion we were having about the Masoretic text.

Which is relevant to the question, for if Mishnaic Hebrew was already corrupted, then the Masoretic Hebrew that followed it still had the same corruption, if not more.

  I said it was not a corruption.

To which I then asked a general question, what then do you call that sort of corruption as it applies to any language? A question you have yet to answer.

  That led eventually to my saying that I did not consider what the Masoretes did to be a corruption, and for some reason you referred to that as a red herring, apparently not knowing what a red herring is.

It is a red herring in the context of the question I asked.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary