b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 22:15:10 -0400

Present day Hebrew speakers tend to say KATAB-TEM with three vowels and a stress on the second A, but to my ear, the "masoretic" KTAB-TEM (as the $MAR-TEM of Jos. 22:2), with only two vowels (no schwa "mobile"), and a stress on the E, sounds better. This is how I do it when I recite Hebrew in public.

Isaac Fried, Boston University