b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 08:36:35 -0700

Chris:

You can’t trust the Masoretic points.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net> wrote:
Hallo Pere, well firstly I recognised that the heh holem vav is
indicative of an imperative and the heh a hiphil, then the tsere
under the tsadi instead of a hireq.  I was surprised so I checked B.
Davidsons's hebrew analytical lexicon and there is written this word
idicating it as an imperative hiphil?  Also I checked my personal
grammar under the assumption that this verb would qualify as a Pe Vav/
Pe Yod.

The unpointed consonantal text can be read either as a hiphil or hophal first person singular verb. As hiphil it has the reading “I cause to exit”, i.e. bring out, which best fits the context.

If this is pointed as an imperative, then you need to be able to step out and say that this doesn’t make sense, how else could it have been pointed to make sense? Then go with that.

Chris Watts
Ireland