b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] God's name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] God's name
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:47:26 +0300

Doug – that's exactly what YHWH is – a precise transcription of the Hebrew letters יהוה. That this was what was written, hundreds of times, in ALL Hebrew mss. is not debated, the only question is how it was pronounced. And the Greek apparently reflects various pronunciations.

I suppose the question might be, whether the Greek translators considered YHWH to be a title or a proper name. "Elohim" and "Adonai" (where spelled out) were thought of as titles, and were thus translated, "Theos", "Kurios" and the like. YHWH was not translated, because as a word it doesn't really mean anything.

Yigal Levin