b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hitpael 1st pers plural bow down/worship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hitpael 1st pers plural bow down/worship
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 19:01:46 +0100

Dear Members,

I wonder if somebody would be kind enough to direct me in understanding why the verb שחה in the Hitpael is often found with a seghol Heh ending in the 1st person plural.

For example: Gen 22:5 we worship.... נִשְתָחַוֶה when the expected is NiSHTaCHU with the normal 1st person plural ending. I have Gesenius but it is hard to know under precisely what category of grammar I should be looking for because my searches for an answer have come up empty. If he does mention it then I would welcome a reference. Thankyou for your time.