b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hitpael 1st pers plural bow down/worship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Penner <kpenner AT stfx.ca>
  • To: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hitpael 1st pers plural bow down/worship
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:06:23 -0300

Do the following help?

Joüon §59g: "In the light of Ugr. tštḥwy “she prostrates herself,” what used
to be considered hitpa̧ʿlẹl, represented almost entirely by the frequent
הִשְׁתַּחֲוָה to worship, to prostrate oneself, is most likely a Hištafʿel of
√ חוי."

Joüon §79t:
"Verb חיה: Hištafʿel form הִשְׁתַּחֲוָה to bow down, to prostrate oneself, to
worship.
The original root is חוי, i.e. ל״י (cf. § a). The conjugation is hištafʿel (§
59g; not Hitpaʿlel). The form expresses the causative reflexive action to bow
down, to prostrate oneself().
In the perfect the primitive form is hištaḥway. The future *yištaḥway has
become יִשְׁתַּחֲוֶה (3rd pl. יִשְׁתַּחֲווּ). The apocopated form is
*yišta'ḥw, in which the consonantal w becomes the vowel u: וַיִּשְׁתַּ֫חוּ.
Observation. In 2Kg 5.18 הִשְׁתַּחֲוָיָתִי the inf. has been vocalised in
Biblical Aramaic fashion (wrongly, actually, for with the suffixes the inf.
takes the ending ūt(). After a scribe had wrongly spelled וי, this sequence
was later vocalised mechanically in the Aramaic fashion. One should read (in
the 3rd pers.) הִשְׁתַּחֲווֹתוֹ."