b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] imperative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] imperative
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:11:02 -0200

hi jerry,

you are abs correct - my remark was very general. all i wanted to point out
was
that the phenomenon of gender and number disagreement between verb and
immediate
noun should be seen in this more general perspective. i do not remember now
concrete examples, but i refer to phenomena like "WYLK M$H W)HRWN". in this
case, the verb form is in perfect, rather than imperative,
and still we see a similar discrepancy.

nir cohen

>>>i Nir,

Some of what you have here is helpful. But I don't see any reason to allow
that the "the general context is not that of a command but that of a verb in
general, in terms of both number and gender." That sounds like nonsense to
me, as if one part of a verb's inflection is important but not another. The
verb is imperative, and can be translated by any of the imperative's available
nuances (command, permission, request, wish, etc.). There is no such thing as
a verb in general.

Blessings,