b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:21­27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:21­27
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:49:21 +0000

Rolf, I'm sure you have your reasons, just like all who interpret this chapter. However, if your reasons are not coming from the text itself, they may not be good reasons. The command to return and rebuild Jerusalem is not about what Nehemiah did. It's about the (imminent in the narrative of Daniel) edict of Cyrus allowing Judeans to return and rebuild Jerusalem. This is an event in 538 BC.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia