b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:21­27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:21­27
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 08:20:21 +0000

Samuel,

Is there anything in the text that precludes the interpretation of discrete (and possibly overlapping) periods?

The difficulty I have with the 69-week (7 + 62) interpretation is that it forces the clauses of the text to work in a way that is somewhat exceptional within the syntax of Dan 9. Furthermore, as I've already stated, the calculations grasp for anchor points that are largely foreign to the concerns of Dan 9. And finally, the whole prophecy suddenly becomes largely irrelevant to the concerns earlier in the chapter. All in all, I just don't find it coherent.

But we'll agree to disagree.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia