b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Sam 7:3 qamets or qamets-hatuph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Charles Grebe <cgrebe AT briercrest.ca>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Sam 7:3 qamets or qamets-hatuph
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:21:04 +0000

Thanks Pere.

I looked at the examples with the long "a"/qamets. They all lack a dagesh
lene in the kaph sofit which, as Donald noted, would indicate that the
preceding shewa is either vocal or medial, and therefore the syllable is
open, etc. I think that explanation holds nicely.

It's interesting to consider the infinitive construct, however. Standard
grammars note that the "o" vowel, usually marked with a holem in the inf
construct, shortens to the short "o" qamets-hatuph when a suffix is added.
They then state, for example, that

"The first syllable is usually a half-closed syllable and shewa is medial
shewa; therefore, dagesh lene is not written in the letter following, as
might be expected." (Allen Ross, Introducing Biblical Hebrew, p 177)

So here we have a half closed syllable that retains the short "o" as opposed
to the cases above that have a half closed syllable with the long "a". I
assume that what is going on here is that the Masoretes are encoding an oral
tradition which is how they "knew" that the inf const is pronounced with a
short "o". They weren't inventing rules, they were writing down a
pronunciation system. I suppose the "o" vowel is retained, even in this half
closed syllable, because of its importance in identifying the inf construct
which is marked by the long "o".

Charles Grebe
Briercrest College and Seminary
Caronport, SK, Canada