b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Sam 7:3 qamets or qamets-hatuph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Charles Grebe <cgrebe AT briercrest.ca>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Donald Vance <donaldrvance AT me.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Sam 7:3 qamets or qamets-hatuph
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 06:49:48 +0100

We have to carefully distingish two cases:

1. In nouns
2. In verbs

Case 1. In nouns:

There are three noun kinds (*) that keep the qamats of the basic noun when
they take the -K suffix:

Look for some examples at Ps 55:23; 1Sm 9:10; Gn 40:19

Here it is a qamats and sounds as vowel "a".

(*) If you wish to know the detailed list ask me (offlist?)

Case 2. In verbs.

There are two different cases:

A. The 3rd person singular masculine of "normal" verbs + K. Look for
samples in 1Sm 24:11; 2Sm 18:31; Pr 3:30.
It keeps the qamats of the basic verb form and therefore it sounds as vowel
"a"

B. Infinitives + suffix K
Here we have a qamats-hatuph and therefore it sounds as vowel "o". Look at
Ex 23:20 or at 1Sm 25:29

Kind regards from

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)