b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 2 Sam 7:3 qamets or qamets-hatuph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Charles Grebe <cgrebe AT briercrest.ca>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 2 Sam 7:3 qamets or qamets-hatuph
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:13:38 +0000

חברים

I have a question about the word בלבבך in 2 Samuel 7:3. Is the qamets there a
long "a" qamets or the short "o" qamets-hatuph? I would assume it is
pronounced with the long "a" qamets but it seems to violate the basic rule
that I usually use to distinguish qamets from qamets-hatuph, namely that if
this vowel symbol occurs in an unaccented closed syllable then it is a
qamets-hatuph?

So my question is which one is it? If it is a qamets, then is the above rule
violated or is there something else going on here?

thanks,

Charles Grebe
Director of Continuing and Distance Education
Briercrest College and Seminary
Caronport, SK